Saturday 31 December 2011

Book Review -- War Horse by Michael Morpurgo


Title:- War Horse

Author:- Michael Morpurgo

Format:- Kindle edition.

LAST REVIEW OF 2011
This book is told through the "voice" of the horse, Joey. Joey is bought by Albert's father, who didn't really want him, but wanted to outbid an acquaintance. His father had no time for him but Albert loved Joey and treasured him spending as much time with him as he could.

Without giving away any spoilers, as it's only a short book (185 pages), Joey is sold to the army and sent to war, becoming a "war horse". A lot happens whilst at war, but Albert never gives up hope he will see Joey again.

This book is written for young adults, but due to the film coming out and the stage show, I thought I would read it.

I absolutely loved it. I am a horse lover anyway, but I don't think it would have made any difference if I wasn't. This was a story of friendship, bravery and determination. The way the story was written through the eyes of the horse was very clever. It is a very descriptive book, and when the author was describing the war scenes, you could picture yourself there, as the horse. It really is very well written. I loved taking the journey with Joey, through the ups and downs.

It's hard to put too much more without spoiling it, but it is a delightful read, and makes me want to see the film and stage show even more now.


Click here for War Horse at the New London Theatre


                            WAR HORSE MOVIE TRAILER

2 comments:

  1. I got to see a preview of the film before Christmas and they've done a really good job of it. The puppetry on the stage show is amazing too.

    http://curiositykilledthebookworm.blogspot.com/2011/12/popcorn-moment-war-horse.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your review on the film. I look forward to seeing it. It comes out on my birthday so that's where I may be heading!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message and thanks for visiting my blog.