Friday 30 December 2011

My Top Ten Reads of 2011

I've given this list a lot of thought as I set myself a challenge with Goodreads to read 52 books in 2011. I made it 53 plus 2 e-books that I can't find on Goodreads or Amazon, so I couldn't review them.

This is my list. I'd be interested to know what you think and if you've read any of them too.

Number 1. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

I loved this for a number of reasons. I had been to Guernsey so I could picture all of the places the authors were talking about. Plus I loved the story line. My favourite of the year.







Number 2. Want to know a Secret - Sue Moorcroft

This was the first book I'd read from this author, and now I'm hooked. I loved the imaginative story line and just really loved the characters in the book.







Number 3. Star Gazing by Linda Gillard

I loved the way the author described this book through the eyes of a blind woman. It made the story come to life, and having had a Grandmother who was blind, I understood a lot of the pitfalls the character went through.






Number 4. The Wedding Gift - Kathleen McKenna

This was a surprise addition to the list. It was a free book for the Kindle, purchased from Amazon.
I loved the fact that this book had a bit of everything; chic-lit, humour;murder and the paranormal. All in one book!





Number 5. Cruelty to Innocents - CK Webb & DJ Weaver

This was another good value book as it was free at the time I bought it for my Kindle, and now back to it's regular price.
This was a tale of child abductions, and was a real page turner with a twist at the end.
It just goes to show you don't have to go for all the top name authors to get a good book.




Number 6. Viper Trail - Simon Gould.

This is the second book in the series, the first one being Playing the Game. Simon Gould is a relatively new author, and although I loved the first book, I gave it 4* as there were some tweaks that needed to be made. All the tweaks were made and Viper Trail came along. Good story telling in the style of James Patterson.





Number 7. Chill Run - Russell Brooks

Another fairly new author, but with a good plot line, well written characters and a good twist at the end. I look forward to more from this author.






Number 8 - The Secrets between us - Louise Douglas

Several people had recommended this author to me, but this is the first of her books I had read. It was a good story line, with likeable characters. Another author I shall be reading more of.






Number 9 - The Ladies Temperance Clubs Farewell Tour - Jeff Lee

This was such a fun book to read. A thriller, with lots of laughs along the way. Lovable fun characters. Another great value Kindle read.






Number 10 - The Stakeout - Elizabeth A Hale

This book introduces us to Audrey Roscoe, Detective. This was a well written book and I look forward to the next investigation by Audrey Roscoe.


This concludes my list. There are many more that came close and it was a difficult decision. So for any authors that read this, that didn't make it, no offence intended.

HERE'S TO SOME GOOD READS FOR 2012






4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Lisa. It's an honour to be included in your Top Ten. Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Linda. Happy New Year to you and your family too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Star Gazing has made it into my top ten, too.

    I read Guernsey.... the year before. Fab read.

    Happy New Year!

    carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the fab review of CRUELTY TO INNOCENTS and for allowing us into your Top Ten for 2011. We are so glad to be in such great company.
    DJ Weaver

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message and thanks for visiting my blog.