Friday 23 December 2011

Book Review -- Rooms: A novel by James L.Rubart

Title: -- Rooms

Author:-- James L.Rubart

Edition:- Kindle Edition

Micah Taylor is a successful businessman, living and working in Seattle. He is quite settled....... or he was until he received a letter from a Great Uncle that he never knew. The letter tells him that he has been left a newly built home on Cannon Beach. He's not sure whether to believe it, and his Dad tells him to ignore anything that comes from the man. It's obvious there's no love lost between his Dad and his Great Uncle.
He thinks it may be a prank and out of curiosity heads to the coast to find out for himself. Sure enough the house is there and he is drawn to the magnificence and size of this house, which appears to have been built just for him, and has taken all his desires into account. This is strange in itself as his Great Uncle never knew him.
He meets and befriends a guy called Rick who lives and works in Cannon Beach. Rick seems to know more about the house than he is letting on. Bizarre things happen whilst in the house, and Micah is drawn to the house more and more, and spends less time at work in Seattle and more time at the house. The house with many mysterious rooms. Rooms full of memories. He also meets Sarah who works in the local ice cream shop, and is just drawn to her, leaving his relationship in Seattle behind.
I could say so much more about this book, but it would end up containing spoilers and I don't want to do this.
It is a mystery novel unlike no other. The bizarre story line just seems to work, despite it being so far fetched. I wouldn't normally read this type of book, but I was drawn to it and had to just keep reading as I wanted to know what happened next. It is intriguing and sometimes you just want to get hold of Micah and shake him and tell him to sort himself out. All the way along, I kept thinking I know what Rick is up to, but none of the book unfolded how I expected it to, which was a nice surprise. There seems to be a moral to the book. I don't know if that was intentional or not. All in all, it was an enjoyable read.
I haven't read any books by this author before, but if he writes other books in this genre I would certainly give them a try.

My Rating 4/5

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message and thanks for visiting my blog.