Friday 30 December 2011

Book Review -- My Dearest Rose -- Jessie McClain

Title:- My Dearest Rose

Author:- Jessie McClain

Format:- Large Paperback

Iris has lost her dear Boyfriend Charlie, and is living with her alcoholic Mother and weak Father. She is also the main carer for her little Brother Danny, and is more like a Mother to him than their own Mother.

Iris is singing part time in a bar, where she meets a wonderful stranger after their eyes meet across the room...... and there, life changes forever.

The story line to this book is quite good, although I felt some parts were dragged out too much and other parts needed more time spending on them. I would have liked there to be more background story to some of the characters, to add more depth.

In a couple of places in the book, the author is talking about three characters then seems to forget she has mentioned one of them and the character just disappears from the dialogue.

The worst part of this book was the appalling spelling and grammar. I did e-mail the author to find out if it was a proof copy I had been given to read, but was told it wasn't and that it was the final published copy. I found the errors really off putting and it took me a lot longer to read than it normally would. If the story line hadn't held my interest then I would have given up on it, purely for this reason, and this is the main reason I dropped the star rating. For example, a multitude of words like "hasn't" where the apostrophe replaces the missing "o" in the two words, were written like "has'nt"; Could'nt; would'nt. This was a continuing theme throughout the book. The book seriously needed spell checking and a good proof reader, as it was as if it was written by someone much younger. If this book is written with the younger reader in mind, then it's not really setting them a good example.

Having said all of this, the story line was enough to keep me going in the end, and I did grow fond of the main characters. I think if the next print of the book could just have the grammars and spelling altered, then this book would be worthy of 4 stars.

This book was provided to me by the author, free of charge, to review. However the words of the review are all my own and have not been influenced in any way by the author.


My rating 3/5 - Good story line, but appalling spelling and grammar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message and thanks for visiting my blog.