Friday 6 September 2019

Blog Feature ~ Why are Libraries Important? ~ Please discuss

My Local Library in Desborough, Northamptonshire

MEMORIES
As a child, I was taken to the library every Saturday by my Parents. I can't remember what age I started going but it was as if the Library was always a part of my life. I wasn't dragged along, as I loved books (and obviously still do). I remember the excitement of being told I could pick 3 books for the week and I could have whatever I wanted. 


I was very fortunate as my parents (mainly my Dad) read to me from a very early age, and I was lucky enough to be able to read before I even went to school. I still have many of my books from my childhood. My Dad was in the steel industry and often went to Hartlepool on business. He always came back with a new book for me. 


As I grew older, I used the library at my school. I always wanted books as presents, and people didn't disappoint me. Books or book tokens, were always under the Christmas Tree. I couldn't get enough of Enid Blyton books and read every one with enthusiasm. 

Sadly as I grew older and came to take my school exams, I was made to do Chaucer and Shakespeare, and I just didn't get them! They didn't grip me or take me on a fantastic journey. I didn't like them then and I don't like them now. Needless to say I failed my English Literature Exam. Strangely enough I passed my French Literature Exam as we read a book (the name of which escapes me) about a young boy in France in the Second world war and it was gripping! 

PROGRESS?
As time moved on and I got older, I drifted away from libraries somewhat although my love of books never left me. Then when I moved into Desborough, Northamptonshire, I decided to join my local library. I feel bad to say I didn't frequent it much as I became a blogger and became inundated with books from Authors and Publishers for me to read and review, so I never went short of books. It got so busy that one of our two studies at home was converted into my, now overflowing, library. No I will not be posting photos, as it's too disorganised! Its a work in progress.

I then lost my blogging Mojo for some time and decided that I would join the library again. It was then that I noticed they needed volunteers. Then came the next party of the journey. 


VOLUNTEERING
Due to the inefficiency of Northamptonshire County Council, who went into "administrative measures", a lot of libraries were put up for sale. Then in July 2018 a charitable trust was set up and called Desborough Library and Community Hub, to takeover the running of the Library and inject some new ideas into it. The people who set it up have worked tirelessly to raise funds to buy the library (some opposition from people along the way, but that is another story). The funds are now in place and many plans are afoot. And so it progresses. 

I saw an advert on social media about volunteering at the library, and although knowing I couldn't commit to lots of hours due to my work, I knew this could be my escape; my little bit of heaven. Well I've a few days under my belt now and I can only tell you that I love it. The other volunteers are great and enthusiastic and the customers are lovely too. I am hoping to become a trustee as I am so passionate about this library. 


WHY ARE LIBRARIES IMPORTANT?
I was asked this question when I was interviewed by the BBC about the library. I'm still awaiting my call from Hollywood. I knew I should have taken lipstick with me that day. Ha ha.

I can think of many reasons it is important. In our town it is a building in the centre of our small town, that doesn't just house a library but so much more. You can visit the Town Council and the Borough Council, who both have offices within the library. There is a large children's area, for reading and play, and many events held for children, including the successful Summer reading challenge. Mums and Dads can come here at anytime to entertain their children. 
Image courtesy of Desborough Library Facebook page

You can come into the library and use the computers to maybe look for a new job, book a holiday, or carry out a multitude of enquiries. If you've never used a computer someone can always help.
We have scrabble clubs; book sales; DVD sales; craft cabinets where local crafters sell their wares. 

People come in just for a cup of tea and a biscuit and to chat.

Students come in to study and do homework and research. It really is a place for everyone. 

QUESTION?
Do you use your library? If so what does it mean to you? If not is there a reason why?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message and thanks for visiting my blog.