Wednesday 1 February 2012

Film Review -- Eat, Pray, Love - One womans search for everything - Elizabeth Gilber

Author - Elizabeth Gilbert

Director - Ryan Murphy

Starring - Julia Roberts

Rating - 15

Format - DVD

I had actually read the book to the film, and I have to say I was a bit disappointed with it, and skimmed through the pages. I thought maybe it was just me as a lot of people raved about it. I saw the film on offer, and thought I'd bite the bullet and spend some of my Amazon Gift Certificate and buy it.

Synopsis - Believing there's more to life than a husband, house and career, Liz Gilbert (Julia Roberts) finds herself with a new appetite for life in this inspiring true story, base on the best-selling book. She leaves New York and embarks on a yearlong journey - travelling to India and Bali - seeking self-discovery through good food, mediation and the prospect of finding true love. James Franco, Billy Crudup and Javier Bardem co-star in this sumptuous and uplifting adventure filled with humour and heart.

Review - I have to say that I absolutely loved this film. Being a travel buff anyway, I love films that incorporate travels across the globe. Liz travels to Italy, which is a country I love, and is filmed in the beautiful cities of Rome and Naples and the wonderful Tuscan countryside, and I could just picture being there again in the wonderful streets of Rome.

She then travels to the beautiful Island of Bali, where she meets Ketut, a local healer, who has a great impact on her. He was very well acted by Hadi Subiyanto, and was a delightful character. He was portrayed much better in the film than in the book.

Then the trip takes Liz to Ashram in India where she meets a beautiful young girl who is about to become a bride. The wedding is full of all the vivid red and gold colours that come with an Indian wedding, with the atmosphere being portrayed in depth. The filming around the streets of Ashram brought it to life which again was not done in the book.

Her journey then takes her back to Bali, where she reunites with Ketut. She makes many friends on the Island, one being a single mother who she becomes good friends with, and another being a handsome stranger. The characters are all very well acted, both by Julia Roberts, Javier Bardem and all the other actors. Again the filming on the Island (I'm assuming it was filmed on Bali) is well done. The scenery is absolutely stunning.

I am so glad I bothered to buy the film, as I was so disappointed by the book. I didn't have to skip parts of the film like I did the book. From the cinematography to the acting, this was a delightful film from start to finish. So if you've read the book and were disappointed, I recommend you get this film as it is a much better portrayal.

My rating
                      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message and thanks for visiting my blog.