Monday 9 May 2011

Do you like James Patterson or writers like him?

I often used to end up in a rut, wondering what to read next. I am a James Patterson fan, but got a bit fed up of his books when he was bringing about 7 or 8 a year, as it made me doubt they were all his own work. How can you possibly write that many books in a year? It ended up where I had read them all and after I'd read books by his collaborating authors, like Andrew Gross, I was stuck what to read next.

Then came the wonderful invention of the kindle and my mind has been opened to loads of new authors. One of the cheaper kindle books that I love is Playing the Game by Simon Gould. This is currently 99p or 99c on Amazon for the e-book. It is written in the style of Patterson books.


Book Blurb -
Detective Michael Patton of the LAPD has been targeted by a serial killer named "The Chemist" - He doesn't know why. Two girls are already dead and a third only has 24hrs to live. For Detective Patton, this is a game he has to win.

It is a good, fast paced book but being an e-book there were some typo errors and grammatical errors which I put on my Amazon review. This is the only reason I dropped this book from a 5* rating to a 4* rating. This seems to be a problem with some e-books and is not the authors fault but I believe that of the publisher.

On the 9th June he is bringing out the second book in the "Playing the Game" Series, with Detective Patton. This one is called Viper Trail. He has told me that my character is in this book, but I don't know if I live or die!
Viper Trail - 9th June
Book Blurb - 
"Viper Trail", the second book in the "Playing The Game" series is released.

Detective Michael Patton and his LAPD partner Charlie Holland fly to Washington D.C. after Patton's former LAPD partner is shot by The Typhon - a sniper striking at will from the rooftops of the city.

A second killer is soon on the scene - The Card Killer - both competing for Patton's attention.

How are these killers linked to a rogue covert surveillance unit, assembled by Mayor Cyprian Hague and Senator Conrad Conway? What link do these killers have to Patton's nemesis, Sarah Caldwell? Will Patton put all the pieces together and find the killers before their games are completed?

Join Patton on the Viper Trail from 9th June ...

After "Playing The Game" selling more than 25,000 copies on Kindle this year so far, the price for "Viper Trail" will match it at £0.99 / $0.99

Click here for the youtube video of the book.

I think it's nice to support these indie writers, and have bought more indie author books since having my kindle than I ever did before.

So if you like crime fiction, please support Simon with his new book. After all, where can you get a few good hours entertainment for 99p or 99c.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks Lisa for the suggestion. I am an avid crime fiction junkie and always on the lookout for new reads. I also like to support indie authors and recently just finished DL Wilson's new book "Sirocco". He is less well-know but fantastic. More info is here for others who may be interested http://www.dlwilsonbooks.com/Sirocco.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyler - The same as me! Crime fiction junkie! I liked The Child Taker by Conrad Jones too. I don't know if you've read that one. I will certainly be reading more of his books too.
    Thanks for the website. I'll have a look at that one. Always happy to try new authors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tyler - Had a look at the website you mentioned. Book sounds a bit like 24 the tv show. Looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the suggestion and I hear you on being able to write 9 books a year! Wish I could:) If you're looking for a new fiction from a first time author check out Deadly Portfoli: A Killing in Hedge Funds by John J. Hohn. Great character building, suspense and a blend of families and lies. It's great web of mystery. You can get a glimpse of it on his site as well. http://jjhohn.com/
    What are you reading now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Thanks for the recommendation. I've not heard of that book so I'll have a look.
    I am currently reading the above mentioned book "Viper Trail" by Simon Gould which has just come out. The author has actually mentioned my name in the book too! I am one of the characters, Lisa Briggs-Hardy. I am really pleased. I'm not biased but it is a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa,
    How cool that you're one of the characters! That's got to be quite an honor.
    I have to say that crime fiction is my absolute favorite genre. I'm finishing up "Operation Downfall" by Daniel McNeet (http://www.danielmcneet.com) right now, which is more of a political thriller than crime novel. I don't really want to finish it since it's so good, but parting with a book is always easier when I have another one lined up. I think I'll have to add Gould's book to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Justin. I loved the book too, and it was really funny seeing my name in the book. I hope you enjoy reading both books. They are great value. I'll have a look at the one you mentioned, although I am not always keen on political thrillers. I prefer a good meaty crime thriller.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message and thanks for visiting my blog.