Sunday 29 May 2011

Book Review -- Star Gazing by Linda Gillard



Star Gazing by Linda Gillard

Authors website: www.lindagillard.co.uk


I won this book on Dizzy C's Little Book Blog and the book was sent to me by the author, who had kindly signed it for me too. I was thrilled. I had never read any of her books before and was not sure what to expect.


The synopsis grabbed me instantly as it was about a woman who had been blind since birth. This resonated with me as my Paternal Grandmother was blind and I appreciate the difficulties a blind person faces. Plus I appreciate their hightened sense of touch and sound.

Synopsis
Blind since birth, widowed in her twenties, now lonely in her forties, Marianne Fraser lives in Edinburgh in elegant, angry anonymity with her sister. Marianne's passionate nature finds solace in music, a love she finds she shares with Keir, the man she encounters on her doorstep one winter's night.

Keir makes no concession to Marianne's condition. He is abrupt to the point of rudeness, yet oddly touchingly kind. But can Marianne trust her feelings for this reclusive stranger, who wants to take a blind woman to his island home on Skye, to 'show' her the stars?

This beautiful, passionate and deeply haunting novel has the power to move and gives hope to even the most fractured heart.

Review
This was one of the most touching and beautifully written books that I have had the fortune to read. The authors beautiful description of the scenery and surroundings in Skye, that need to be 'translated' into a musical comparison for the blind Marianne to understand, was hauntingly amazing. The way Marianne is taught by Keir about the surroundings of Skye by touch and sound, brought back memories of my Grandmother who I used to buy things for that she would 'see' by her touch. The research that the author has put in to the feelings of a blind person and the way they 'see' is truly brilliant. I found myself comparing Marianne to a younger version of my Grandmother.

The book itself is so beautifully written and the relationships between all the characters is warm and loving. The book is a mixture of joy, sadness and apprehension. I have to admit that I did actually cry in places whilst reading the book, which is very unusual for me. I don't want to write what the joy's, sadness and apprehension entail for fear of adding spoilers, so you will have to read it to find out for yourself.

I thoroughly recommend you read this one, but if you are a sucker for a good story, make sure you have plenty of Kleenex at the ready.

I have no other option but to give this wonderful book 5/5.

9 comments:

  1. I have now bought Emotional Geology from Awesome Books and also House of Silence from Amazon for my Kindle. I hope they are as good as this one. Emotional Geology gets 23 5* ratings on Amazon and for some bizarre reason 1 1* rating, so I am sure that it will be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,

    I was sure you would love this one too. :)

    I also have Emotional Geology and House of Silence to read. I really enjoy Linda's style of writing.

    carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, lots of readers have preferred EMOTIONAL GEOLOGY to STAR GAZING. I think the hero is yummier, but what do I know? I'm only the author. ;-)

    I hope when you get around to reading EG and HoS, you'll enjoy them as much as STAR GAZING (which is published as an e-book next month.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant to say, thanks for the 5/5 review. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, Thank you so much for commenting on my blog. I look forward to reading the other books and will be happy to review those too. I am intrigued as you say others prefer Emotional Geology as I can't see how you can better Star Gazing.
    Thank you again for such a wonderful piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think some readers found Marianne so fiercely independent, she was hard to like. I had various emails/reviews that said, "I felt like slapping her!" (which surprised me given she's blind!) But readers who could see past the obstinacy & spikiness liked her. She's a very different person at the end of the book.

    I think Rose, the heroine of EMO GEO is more likeable. As for the hero, Calum - a reader emailed me to say, "Are there really men like that in the Hebrides? Because if so, I'm relocating." ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually liked Marianne just for that reason. She was independent and determined despite her blindness. I thought she was a real ballsy character. Like you say, she was very different at the end and had softened somewhat.

    I am so looking forward to 'meeting' Calum! Sounds fun. I love that comment about relocating. Did you base him on someone you know I wonder? I'll contact you after I've read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I based him physically on a real person (sadly, not someone I know) but I made up his character. I'd say he was typical in many ways of the Highlander. I tried to capture the dry humour. (I'm English myself but have lived in the Scottish Highlands and islands for 10 years.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review. I'm am quite interested. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message and thanks for visiting my blog.