Thursday 5 September 2019

Book Review ~ Crotch Height Perspective - It's Just the Way It Is by Steph Derham - Authobiography


Title - Crotch Height Perspective - It's Just the Way it is

Author - Steph Derham

Genre - Autobiography

Buy Link - Click here

SYNOPSIS
My name is Steph. I was born with the condition known as Spina Bifida and I am writing to tell the world about my life as a disabled person living in a non disabled world. Having said that this is by no means intended to be a book of self pity or of being a victim. But a story of changing times and acceptance, both in the medical world, the law and in people's minds. My book is intended to be honest, humorous and at times bittersweet. The title is “Crotch Height Perspective” as I believe this suggests to you an insight into how it is to see everything around you at Crotch Height.I hope to make you smile, frown and maybe shed a small tear but above all I hope to show you that we are all still people on the inside, no matter what you see on the outside. My story begins in 1961 when my mum gave birth to me and my parents were given little hope that, even if I were to survive, I would ever even sit up.My story hasn't ended. I’m still here.
 BOOK REVIEW 

Not ever having been in a wheelchair, I was intrigued in this book, not only for it's amazing title, but also because I have never known what life would be like in a wheelchair. 

Steph comes across as a strong character, as she leads you through her life as a young lady who ended up in a wheelchair.  She talks about her childhood and her private school. Her parents seemed very loving and supportive. She seemed to have some great friends throughout her life, who never treated her any different. Three Husbands too! 

She talks about the discrimination she received from many quarters, most noticeably from her job in the Police Force, which was heartbreaking. 

As a person from the outside looking in, Steph has had a really interesting life. Some great highs, but some terrible lows too. 

The book is written in chapters of her life, although I did find that it kept going backwards and forwards sometimes and was a bit disjointed, I thought it was a really good read, especially as it was her debut book.  It will make you laugh a lot, cry some and more importantly make you realise that despite the visible barrier of a wheelchair, Steph is just like any other person. 

All in all a great read from a different perspective.

Check out the buy link above or visit your local library.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message and thanks for visiting my blog.