Sunday 1 July 2012

Book Review - The Thinking Tank - by Jae De Wylde

Title - The Thinking Tank

Author - Jae De Wylde

Format - Paperback

Publisher - Summertime publishing

Synopsis
1969, London, England and Sally, a little girl dressed in brown, visits Father Christmas at a church fair. He rescues her as she trips and stumbles into his arms. As he hoists her onto his lap she thinks she feels the breath of a kiss on her cheek.

2003, and in Rutland, England, Sarah's relationship with her daughter Rebekah is going from bad to worse. Torn apart by family secrets yet locked together by a solemn promise, the future for both seems bleak. But the mysterious and haunting circumstances of a hospital visit set Sarah on a path of discovery from which there is no turning back.

Sarah travels to Spain in search of answers - but even before she arrives, it becomes clear that offers of help rarely come without strings...

Only by confronting the truth can Sarah move forward, but that means revealing the one secret she herself cannot face.

Review
The synopsis was what drew me to this novel. I was intrigued as it was based in an area of England in which I live, and also in Spain. A country which I am fond of.

The book itself takes part in two different time frames. At first I didn't like this and got confused with all the characters, ending up having to write them down and note who was who.

At times I found some of the chapters slightly disjointed, going backwards and forwards between conversations and time frames within the same paragraph.  Despite this, I ended up really enjoying the book once I had immersed myself in it. I loved how the relationship between the characters was formed. I felt sorry for the main character and strangely felt quite protective towards her. I enjoyed how all their lives were intertwined and how the author managed to bring them together between Rutland and Spain.

There were many twists and turns to the story which I enjoyed. At times I wondered what had happened to certain characters, thinking they had been forgotten about, only for the author to shock or surprise us when we least expected it.

I didn't find it a light hearted read but a it is a book well worth investing your time in.

My rating




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message and thanks for visiting my blog.