Sunday 22 May 2011

Book Review -- Don't breathe a word by Jennifer McMahon

This book was provided to me courtesy of NetGalley and Harper Collins. The review is entirely my own and I have not been paid for this review.

This is a book which initially I thought was going to be a young persons fantasy tale. How wrong I was. It's a psychological thriller, that takes you into the past and then back to the present. It's a tale of family lies and betrayal.

The present day focuses on partners Sam and Phoebe, who both had problems in their childhood. Event's from the past become intertwined with the present and things happen that make Sam and Phoebe both doubt their sanity. People come into their lives and then just disappear as if they never existed. Are people who they say they are? Who can they really trust?

In the past Sam's sister Lisa went missing in the woods, where there were dark tales of fairies and the King of the fairies, Teilo, who Lisa believed lived at the bottom of the woods. The woods where the old town of Reliance used to exist. A town where it was said the folk simply disappeared or just upped and left. Strange things happened in the woods. Dare you go into the woods?

This book has lots of twists and turns and is far more than a fairy tale.  It is a thriller with a difference. I found the book intriguing and the characters even more so. I have to say though I was a little disappointed with the ending and thought the author could have done a bit more with it. It left me a little deflated and confused after all the thrilling ups and downs of the plot.

I will certainly look out for more by this author though. It is not normally a book I would have chosen, but I'm glad I read it as it's opened my eyes more to different genre's. 4/5

2 comments:

  1. Fab review. This sounds interesting. I've seen this book around but I've yet to take notice. I am quite intrigued now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good. It's like an adult fairy tale. You should still be able to get it free on netgalley.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message and thanks for visiting my blog.